On your quit date, butt out completely.
- Don’t smoke, not even a little.
- Toss out your cigarettes, other tobacco, and ashtrays.
- Avoid people and situations where you will be tempted to smoke. Change your usual routine to one that doesn’t include smoking.
- Go for a walk instead of a smoke.
- Be positive. Believe in yourself and your plan.
- Remember that nicotine withdrawal symptoms only last a short time. Follow these tips to cope with withdrawal symptoms.
- Get help from support groups, counselors and your local quit line
- Take it one day at a time. Once the withdrawal is over; you’ll feel better than you have in years.
- Celebrate your success and give yourself credit! Tell people how long you’ve quit for. It's a major achievement and you should be proud.