Choose two or more proven quit-smoking methods
There are many proven ways to quit smoking. To boost your chances of quitting, pick what seems right for you:
- Join a support group.
- Get individual counseling in person or by phone. There are free quit lines across Canada -find out about one in your area.
- Take nicotine replacement therapy (NRT). The nicotine patch, gum, lozenge or inhaler.
- Ask your doctor about prescription medications to help to quit smoking.
- If you slip up, don’t give up.
- Ask for support from your family and friends.
Going “cold turkey” – quitting spontaneously on your own – also works well for some people. Many people who have quit smoking for good say they quit cold turkey. If you think going cold turkey could work for you, try it.