A Turbuhaler® is a plastic device containing dry powdered medication. A Turbuhaler® is breath-activated. This means when you inhale, the Turbuhaler® automatically releases the medication. If you use it properly, the Turbuhaler can deliver medication deep into your lungs.
Watch a video on how to use a Turbuhaler
- Unscrew the cover and remove it.
- Holding the Turbuhaler upright, turn the coloured wheel one way and back the other way, until it clicks. It's now loaded with a new dose.
- Breathe out normally.
- Put the mouthpiece between your lips and tilt your head back slightly.
- Breathe in deeply and forcefully.
- Hold your breath for 10 seconds or as long as you can.
- Remove the Turbuhaler from your mouth, and breathe out.
- If you need another dose, repeat the steps 3- 5.
- If the medicine you are taking contains a corticosteroid, rinse your mouth out and gargle with water after you use it, then spit the water out. This helps prevent side effects like a yeast infection (thrush) in your mouth, and hoarseness in your throat.
How to Tell When the Turbuhaler® Is Empty
The Turbuhaler® is empty and should be thrown out when the zero or a red line is in the centre of the dose-counting window.
How to Clean Your Turbuhaler®
Clean mouthpiece two or three times a week. Using a dry cloth, wipe away any particles that have collected on the mouthpiece. Never wash the mouthpiece.